The Forward tool allows a customer on the advanced or premium license plan to forward forms to mobile users or to any email address. The Forward tool works by submitting the form. The doForms server then forwards the form. You can configure the forward to automatically return to sender when the forwarded to person submits the form. You can also suppress emails during a forward. This allows you to forward the customer a form for signature. The emails are suppressed because you don't want the receipt being emailed to the customer until it has their signature. It will be emailed either when they submit the form or if return to sender is selected, when that person submits the form after it is returned to them.
Using a forward
- While a forwarded record will be sent as a dispatch to User B, it does not create a new record in the Dispatch tab of the doForms portal.
- A forwarded record does not affect the "Completed status" of a record completed by User A in the Dispatch tab.
- While the form is being forwarded from one user to another, the most current version of the form is stored in the View Data tab. This means that, after forwarding, the data is safely stored in the doForms portal. Only the most current version of the form record is stored in the View Data tab throughout the process.
- Forms that have been forwarded will appear in the Jobs tab of the mobile device. It is important to ensure that your form has a record name so that the second person sees information in the Jobs tab and not just the form name.
- If you create a "Save and Send" Action button, you can select the Ignore required fields in forward option within the Action button settings. If you do not select this option, and the form has required fields, it will not let User A send the form until all required fields have been entered.
When forwarding to an email address the account will be charged 1 credit per forward and 1 credit to submit. For example, if USER1 forwards to email@example.com and then firstname.lastname@example.org submits the form, the account will be charged 2 credits.
Forwarding to more than one user
The forward tool is designed to be forwarded to one person at a time. If there are multiple forward tools in your form active at the same time, the last user to submit the form will update any previous user's submission of the same form. In other words, if User 1 forwarded Form A to User 2 and User 3 at the same time, both users would receive the forwarded form. If User 2 submitted the form, the information they entered on the form would be available in View Data. But, if User 3 then filled out and submitted their forward after User 2 had submitted their forwarded form, User 2's data would be overwritten by User 3's data in the View Data tab. Essentially no matter how many people receive a forwarded form, the last person's data who submits the form to the web portal will be visible.
Default value: The mobile ID or email address you wish to forward the form to. The mobile ID must be an integer value with no spaces or special characters. There are three ways to set the mobile ID:
- Type a mobile ID into this field as a default value.
- Leave the field blank, and prompt the user to enter a mobile ID.
- Use a lookup and set the Forward field as the destination field equal to the Mobile ID field in the lookup table.
Note that, to force a form to forward to a mobile user, type a mobile ID into the field, and then apply the desired Read-only parameters (described below). You may also want to hide this field by applying the desired Hide parameters (described below).
Turn off email: The system will suppress emails from being sent when User A submits the form. This will allow the email to only be sent by User B after the form is complete.
Return to Sender: The forward tool will automatically put the senders mobile number into the recipients forward tool. This setting is used when the forwarded form needs to return to the person who originally forwarded it.
Reset: The system will automatically clear the Forward form to field so that the form does not get sent back to the same person over and over again.
Length: If selected, allows you to set the minimum and maximum length of the forwarding mobile id.