The View Data tab gives web users access to collected data. From this section of the doForms portal, you can add edit and delete forms, import and export data, run reports and distribute information, and sort and filter results. Fill & Send allows you to pre-populate a form with data and then send it to anyone in the world with an email address. The Map option allows you to view your forms that contain GPS coordinates on a map, giving you extra insight into where your data is being collected.
Selecting Projects and Forms
To view forms that have been completed and submitted, first select a Project from the drop-down list and then select a Form. Next, enter a Date Range and then click on one of the two View buttons.
View vs. View Record Name
View will return back all collected data which can be viewed by either scrolling from left to right or by looking at the form in form mode using the edit or PDF options. View Record Name will only bring back those fields as defined by Record Name setup when the form was built. Record names allow the form builder to establish which fields in the form will be used to uniquely identify the record once the form has been submitted. This option is optimal as the results will return substantially faster. This is especially true when viewing large forms or forms with many images. Even though the system only returns the record name fields, the web user can still view the form in its entirety in form mode.
Note: Record names are highly recommended especially for Dispatch. The mobile device will display the Record Name versus the form name as long as one exists. In most cases the record name will consist of the data entered by the dispatcher such as customer name, address, etc.
With view data, a web user can also start filling out a new form and save it. Use the Open button to retrieve your saved forms and continue editing them.
Export – doForms offers a suite of export options from right within the View Data screen. Use the export settings under Settings to fine tune how your exported data will appear. If you ever need to automate exporting data you can do this programmatically via Web Services, you can use our Integration Suite or you can even use the Excel Plug-in.
Import - Import your data into doForms. There are two major reasons to use this feature.
- Creating Data Sources – If you create a form in doForms and fill it with data the form can be used as a data source for other forms.
For Example, Let’s say you have a spreadsheet that contains all of the products you sell and how much you charge for each product. Build a form called Product master. Add a text field called Product Name and a numeric field called Product Price. Remember to make it a decimal and not an integer. Publish the form. Now go to view data and open the form. Click on File and then Import the spreadsheet with your products and prices. A tip is the first row of each column should be Product_Name and Product_Price. The first row in your spread sheet is used to define the data in the column. If the names match your data names in the form then the import will start, if not then you will be asked to map the fields from the spreadsheet to the fields in your form. Once you perform the import your screen will now be populated with a row for each record you imported. You can manage this data right in doForms. Simply add, edit or delete a record. The good news is you can set the system up to auto update your devices anytime you make a change. Once your data is in simply goto the build forms screen and click on Lookup data next to the Settings tab. Click on add and when prompted click on use form. Pick the form you just setup and click on Auto Update. You are all set. You can now use the Data Lookup tool to give your users a drop down containing all of your products. Add a numeric field called Price and use the destination field property in the data lookup tool to set the price in your form equal to the price in your data. Now when someone picks a product the price will automatically appear.
- Moving data – If you need to republish you form for any reason you can export your data from the original form and import it back into the new form.
Fill & Send
Fill & Send allows a user to pre-populate a form with data and then send it to anyone in the world with an email address. Fill & Send is great for sending form-based invoices, quotes, proposals, etc. to people who don't have a doForms account or mobile license. In addition, Fill & Send provides real-time notification when a form is opened and completed by the recipient. Note that, if you don't want mobile users to have access to Fill & Send, you must modify their user permissions on the Manage Mobile Users screen.
Launching Fill & Send
Refer to the numbered highlights in the image shown below for information on launching Fill & Send
- Launch the doForms portal and click View data.
- Select a Project and a Form.
- Click the Fill & Send button to open the form in the doForms portal.
Pre-populating the selected form
After clicking the Fill & Send button, the selected form will open in the doForms portal, below. Refer to the numbered highlights in the image shown below for information on pre-populating the selected form:
- Enter: A) The email of the person you want to send the form to. Note that you may only enter one email address. B) Subject of the email. C) Email body text. For information on modifying email settings, see "Modifying Fill & Send settings," below.
- Enter data into the form. In the sample shown below, the user has entered Jonathan Doe's name, contact information, driver's license information, etc.
Modifying Fill & Send settings
You can modify the default email options in the Fill & Send settings window, described below. Note that these settings are specific to each published form.
To modify Fill & Send settings for a specific form, refer to the the numbered highlights on the image below. Note that the bottom diagram -- a sample email containing the form link -- shows how each Fill & Send setting corresponds to its header and message fields.
- Click the Settings icon to open the Fill & Send settings dialog box.
- Enter text in the Set email alias field. When the recipient receives the email from you, your email address will appear in the From field as:
nnnnn [email@example.com], where nnnnn is the text you entered.
Example: U-Drive Car Rental [firstname.lastname@example.org]
3. Select an Email subject. When the recipient receives the email from you, the email's Subject will appear as one of the following:
- Used form name: Select this option to use the doForms name of the form as the Subject.
- Used record name: Select this option to use fields from within the form to describe the Subject (e.g., CustName, CustAddress, JobDate, etc.).
- Default: Enter text to have it appear by default as the Subject, each time this form is sent via Fill & Send.
- Custom: Select this option to enable the sender to enter a custom Subject, each time this form is sent via Fill & Send.
4. Select an Email message options:
- Default: Enter text to have it appear by default as the Email message, each time this form is sent via Fill & Send. Note that you may use HTML tags in order to break lines, boldface or italicize content, etc.
- Custom: Select this option to enable the sender to enter a custom Email message, each time this form is sent via Fill & Send.
5. Select how you want to link to the form within the email:
- Link: Embeds a URL into the email.
- Icon: Embeds an Open icon into the email.
- Icon and link: Embeds an Open icon and a URL into the email.
- Click here button: Embeds a Click here button into the email.
- Click here button and link: Embeds a Click here button and a URL into the email.
6. Select Other settings that will appear at the bottom of the email.
7. Click the Save button to save all changes.
Sending the email
After you have pre-populated the form with data, entered the recipient's email address, and entered any email settings, click the Send button at the top of the form (highlighted in image below). Once sent, you will see a following confirmation message.
What the form recipient sees after clicking the form link
After the email is sent, the recipient receives an email containing a link to the form. The recipient clicks the link to open the form in a browser.
If the form opens in a browser in a small mobile device (e.g., smartphone, iPad mini, etc.), the form will automatically open in Full Screen mode (shown in image, below):
If the form opens in a desktop/laptop browser, or in a large mobile device (e.g., tablet) browser, the form will automatically open in Form mode (shown in image, below).
No matter which mode the form opens in, the recipient can toggle modes using the Full Screen/Form Mode button (highlighted in red, above).
The recipient can modify any field in the form. When they are finished entering data, they must click/tap the Submit button (highlighted in green, above) to submit the completed form back to the sender.
To print the form, the recipient may click/tap the Print button (highlighted in pink, above), and then follow any on-screen printing instructions.
Checking the status of a sent email, and opening a returned form
DoForms posts each sent email into the View data screen, allowing you to keep track of emails that have been sent. The View data screen also shows the statuses of sent forms, letting you know which forms have been opened or completed by the recipients. Finally, the View data screen allows you to open returned forms.
To check the status of a sent email (refer to the numbered highlights in the image below):
- Launch the doForms portal and click View data.
- Select a Project and a Form.
- The Status column shows the status of each form that has been sent via Fill & Send. In the example below, one form has been Completed, and one form has been Opened.
To open a returned form (refer to the numbered highlights in the image below):
- Click the drop-down arrow for the form you wish to open.
- Click Edit to open the form.
Display Settings – Whether using the View button or the View Record Name button, your data is displayed in columns. These settings allow you to remove columns, define how columns are named and even how certain data is presented if it is part of a container such as a Grid or Table.
Export Settings – Use export setting to adjust how your data is exported. As an example if you were exporting data to view you might want to use the Caption to define each column of data. However, if you were going to export data to import it into another form you would want to use the data-name. Additional setting help determine the orientation of your data meaning your data can appear with the caption on the top of each column with your data under it or your captions can go down the left with your data to the right. Other options allow you to determine what data appears in your export.
Report Settings – Controls the formatting of PDF and Excel reports. These settings are different from the setting assigned to email functions embedded in a form. Those settings will control the format of emails reports sent based on the automated reporting system which sends reports at the time the form is submitted. These setting will take affect when a web user views or prints a form on demand from the portal.
Show data filter – Data on your screen can be sorted by clicking on the column header and can be filtered by either selecting this option or by clicking on the Filter button.
Simply set the filter criteria and click on the apply button. Use the clear button to clear the filter criteria.
Delete all selected – Deletes all selected (checked) records.
Unlock all selected – The retrieve function will lock records until the user re submits the form back with their changes. If a user forgets to re submit the form or you need to make a change you can override the lock.
PDF Report all selected – Generates a PDF report for each record that was selected.
Excel Report all selected – Generates a report for each record selected based on the Excel template linked to this report in report settings.
List View – Data is presented by row.
Map – If a form contains a GPS location stamp then doForms is able to plot on the map the location associated with this form.
Each data row in View data contains a row menu accessed by clicking on the down arrow on the left side of each row.
Add – Select add to fill out a form in form mode.
Edit – Allows a web user with edit rights to edit the form. Your form will appear in form mode and you will have the ability to edit data and save those changes, forward the form(dispatch customers only) or you can email/print the form based on your report settings.
Copy – Select copy if you would like to use an existing form as the basis for your new form. Delete – Deletes the data row. A message will be displayed asking you to confirm the delete. Click the Ok button to permanently delete the row of data from your doForms website (Dispatch tab and View Data tab). Otherwise, press Cancel.
PDF Report – Produces a PDF report based on your report settings. Excel Report – Produces an Excel report based on your report settings.
Note: Add, Edit and Delete functions are only available to users with Edit, Manage or Admin privileges.
Auto-refresh – By checking Auto-refresh your screen will be updated as completed records are received and as status changes happen.